Summer safety checklist
There is nothing more fun-filled than our Australian summer, with school holidays, swimming pools and long, relaxing barbeques with friends.
It’s important to remember that this fun can easily turn to tragedy if appropriate safety measures are not in place.
The Victorian Government’s pool safety legislation sits with the Australian Building Authority which states:
“In Victoria, the design, construction and installation of swimming pools, spas and their safety barriers are subject to strict building requirements under the Building Regulations 2006 (the Regulations). The Regulations also contain ongoing legal obligations for pool and spa owners to maintain their safety barriers at all times.”
It is important to note that:
- Approved pool fencing must be at least 1.2 metres high.
- Any pool gates/doors must be self-closing and self-latching.
- Ensure that there are no climbable objects around your pool fence, and most importantly, check with your neighbours to see if there are any climbable objects on their side of the boundary fence.
- Doors from a dwelling are prohibited from opening out to a swimming pool
- Display an up-to-date CPR chart on your pool fence
Your local council can be contacted to perform a compliance check and sign-off on your pool-fencing for a small fee.
Owners Corporations who oversee units, townhouses and apartments must also comply with this legislation. By ensuring that pool safety regulations are met at all times, Owners Corporations are performing their legal duty by keeping both residents and visitors safe.
Regular maintenance must be undertaken to ensure a safe and healthy environment in and around the pool by:
- Replacing any broken drain or suction point covers
- Chemically treating water so that it is healthy and sanitised
- Ensuring that the water filter and cleaning system is working properly to remove dust and leaves.
If your property is near grass or bushland, make sure that the leaves have been removed from guttering and that any flammable materials have been removed from around and under the home.
The Jellis Craig Property Management team can organise maintenance and safety checks of your pool, gutter cleaning and rubbish removal by qualified and insured professionals.